I’m in the midst of finals right now, which is both exciting and daunting because it means that the holiday break is almost upon us (!) but also that I still have to endure a few finals.
I’m the type of person that doesn’t like conforming to the norm, which is why I’m always in the minority during finals week. What I mean by this is that I don’t stress myself out to the extent that many of my peers do. For me, staying calm while in the midst of a mentally draining time is key. Today I’m sharing some tips to avoid falling into the finals grind.
- Take breaks: taking breaks is extremely important. I like to reward myself when studying, so I plan on finishing up and assignment or studying for an allocated amount of time and then watching an episode of one of my favorite shows.
- Set a timer: I absolutely live by the “setting a timer” rule. If I have a lot to do on any given day, spacing things out and only dedicating a certain amount of time to one task makes me more efficient.
- Don’t abandon your social life: I’m not encouraging you to hang out with friends 24/7, but to instead maintain a healthy social life during finals. My friends are a great support system and during a stressful time, I know I can count on them to make me laugh or smile in spite of the craziness that’s surrounding me.
- Keep everything in one place: when I got to college I soon realized the importance of keeping all of your essays, assignments, and notes in one place. In my case, that’s my laptop. When I need to go somewhere to study, it’s nice to not have to bring stacks of papers and to instead have everything on my laptop.
- Stay positive: this is by far the most difficult thing to do when you’re in the middle of an incredibly hectic time. Realize that everyone has to deal with finals and that at the end of the day, all that matters is that you did your best. As corny as it sounds, you are not defined by a grade in a class or a test score. If you keep a positive attitude, you’ll be amazed to see how much more motivated you are to do well.
For anyone who is in the midst of finals or who has finals coming up, I wish you the best of luck! I’m sending positive vibes your way.